De Javasche Bank

The history of old Bank Indonesia building in Muaro, Padang started in 151 years ago when De Javasche Bank opened its subsidiary in Muaro – Padang, West Sumatra on August 29, 1864. The subsidiary in Padang was the firts outside Java Island subdiary of De Javasche Bank and third after Semaramg and Surabaya City subsidiaries.
The existence and the establishment of De Javasche Bank in Muaro showed the importance of Padang as the main gate for trade and finance activities in west Sumatra. The Establishment of De Javasche Bank in West Sumatra should be related with the request of the Central Sumatra Ragent to De Javasche Bank to open its subdiary in Padang. However, this request was realized after Kamer Van Koophandel en Nijverheid sent its proposal to the Nederland’s Indische Government and its reques t to De Javasche Bank’s Director to open their subsidiaries outside of Java.

The first building of De Javanche Bank Padang subsidiary was in Nipalaan area, Muaro-Padang by the side of Batang Arau River.
The building was a government military warehouse before it was used by De Javasche Bank. De Javasche Bank started to use this building on August 29, 1964 with its first chief or agent was A.W. Verkouteren. This building still exists until today and at prsent is used by one of Ministry of Finance.

Many references told that De Javasche Bank had been discussed the plan to build a new building since 1912 but the decision to start designing of new building was done in 1920. The development of new building was difficult to be strted since the province government was reluctant to issue the permit since the area was proposed to be the river and sea port area. On March 31, 1921 De Javasche Bank started to develop its new building in Greverlein area, Muaro-Padang which was designed by Hulswitt – Fermont – Cupypers Architechten & Engineeren Beureau.-And started be used in 1925. The Gavernor of De Javasche Bank in charge at that time was Mr. L.J.A Trip (1924-1929). After the andependence of Indonesia, on July 1, 1953 the operation and function of De Javasche Bank was transformed to Bank Indonesia as the Republic of Indonesia.

Bank Indonesia continued the the utilization of De Javasche Bank building until Januaryn 24, 1977. The building was designed in eclectic classicism style of an architecture Art Deco style which was develoved in the early 20th century. Many architecture colonial and old architectural elements can be found at this building. All detail was designed carefully and follow the basic architectural principle.

The building has louvre on its roof which was very typical on the building De Javasche Bank. It is also still apply some neo classical style architectural element such as pilaster, molding and oculus which was the common element in most cypress design. Most of colorful window at this building made from stain glass and used tin and color glass. Most of beautifull glas windows have been altered with common and made the some of the beauty of building fade out. All of wooden parts of wooden parts of the building made from expensive teak wood and for windows, doors, frames and panels were painted with traditional wood color finishing.