Old Town of Padang. This historical town of Padang with many old building and a colouful harbour with Dutch architecture is Padang’s main attraction. It’s located beside the Muaro River. Walk along the beautiful pedestrian at the river bank with a row of old Dutch buildings. On the river there is a historical harbor of Padang built by Dutch. Now the harbor and the river is full of colorful little boaths. There’s also a beautiful bridgade on the river, Sitti Nurbaya Bridgade with colourful light on night. Still in the old town, there’s an old Chinatown with many old shophouses. There’s a beautiful old Chinese temple, See Hien Kiong Temple and a beautiful old musque, Muhammadan Mosque.
Padang Cathedral This catholic cathedral was built in 1933 and has a gothic art deco architecture with curve windows. It is still in its original shape and well maintained, but suffered considerably during the 2009 earthquake.
Frater Huis In 1911, the Apostolic Prefecture of sumatra was separated from Jakarta and became an own diocese in 1962.
The”Frater Huis”, built in 1923 as a monastery for monks, is now the seat of the Bishop of Padang. The building is well maintained and renovated according to the original architecture.
Maria school & Mariana Kindergarten In same complex of the catholic cathedral and the bishop’s but on Jalan Tangsi, other colonial buildings can be found, which serve as a religious secondary scholl and kindergerten, managed by the Prayoga Foundation, which is historically linked to the diocese Padang.
Port Of Padang(River Front, Jalan Batang Arau)
Most of the buildings along the Batang Arau River were built in the late 19 th and early 20 th century and used as werehouses. some of them show a classical Dutch facade and pyramid roof, others are of mixed Dutch and Chinese architecture styles.
Chinese Temple. Chinese traders arrived in Padang under Dutch rule and settled in the harbour region, now known as Padang’s Chinatown. After the Original temple, made of wood, burn down completely, the Chinese built a new temple, made of wood, burn down completely, the chinese built a new temple in 1861, showing both straits Chinese and Dutch elements. The main temple is located in the heart of what is now referred to as”chinatown” and was built by experts from china, using imported building material from china. It has three rooms: the main room in the middle, the meditation room on the right and the administration office on the left. Built as the”Hoet Tjo Temple” during Dutch colonial times, later changed to”See Hin Kiong”, it is now renamed as “Vihara Tri Dharma” and features mixed Buddhist and Taorist elements typical for Chinese sprituality.